These word plays have been around for a long time, but here is a cluster I found while cleaning and digitizing the things I have collected in file cabinets over the last four decades. (Answers at the end, don’t cheat!)
21) Bonus: French Language rebus
- A backward glance
- Getting up at the crack of dawn
- I understand you undertake to undermine my undertaking
- Split level
- Six feet underground
- Reading between the lines
- Odd couple
- Mind over matter
- Man overboard
- Lying down on the job
- Long underwear
- Life after death
- Be above quarrels between man and woman, there are faults on both sides
- Two eggs over easy
- Three degrees below zero
- Un grand abbé, plein d’appétit, à traversé Paris sans danger.
As a small item of interest, these were originally formatted on the Xerox 6085 Desktop Publishing System in around 1986.
The Old Wolf has spoken.